SpaceX Loses Contact with Starlink Satellite After In-Orbit Mishap
SpaceX confirmed on Wednesday that one of its Starlink satellites experienced a malfunction in orbit, creating debris and severing communications with the spacecraft — a rare incident for the company’s vast satellite internet network. The event, which occurred at an altitude of 418 kilometres, has prompted close monitoring by U.S. space agencies.
In a post on X, SpaceX said the satellite “is largely intact, tumbling, and will reenter the Earth’s atmosphere and fully demise within weeks.” The company added that it was working with the U.S. Space Force and NASA to track debris and assess potential risks to other spacecraft.
Minor Explosion Suspected
According to SpaceX, the satellite — part of a constellation of nearly 10,000 Starlink units orbiting Earth — quickly dropped about four kilometres in altitude after the mishap, suggesting an internal explosion may have occurred. Space-tracking firm LeoLabs detected “tens” of debris fragments from the event and said more pieces could be identified as monitoring continues.
LeoLabs noted that the rapid drop in orbit likely pointed to an onboard fault rather than a collision with another satellite or piece of space debris. The U.S. Space Force’s space-tracking division has yet to confirm the exact number of fragments, but officials have said the risk to other satellites remains low.
While serious, the incident appears smaller in scale compared to previous orbital breakups, such as the 2023 disintegration of an Intelsat satellite that produced more than 700 debris pieces or last year’s Chinese rocket body fragmentation event.
Calls for Greater Orbital Coordination
The mishap comes amid surging satellite activity in Earth’s orbit, with commercial and state operators deploying thousands of spacecraft for broadband, navigation, and imaging services. Experts warn that the growing congestion heightens the risk of collisions and underscores the urgent need for international coordination.
Industry leaders and policymakers have called for clearer orbital traffic rules to manage satellite manoeuvres and communications between operators — particularly as U.S. and Chinese networks expand rapidly.
Last week, SpaceX’s vice president of Starlink engineering, Michael Nicolls, said a recently launched Chinese spacecraft came within just 200 metres of a Starlink satellite, describing the near miss as “a dangerously close approach.” He criticised the lack of coordination in space operations, writing, “Most of the risk of operating in space comes from the lack of coordination between satellite operators — this needs to change.”
As monitoring continues, SpaceX has said the damaged satellite is expected to burn up completely upon reentry, posing no long-term threat to orbital safety.
with inputs from Reuters

