States Begin Trial Against Meta Over Alleged Harm to Young Users
A coalition of 29 states will begin making its case against Meta Platforms on Tuesday, as a closely watched federal trial examines whether Facebook and Instagram were designed in ways that harmed young users’ mental health.
Attorneys for Colorado, California, New Jersey and Kentucky will deliver opening statements before an eight-person jury in Oakland, California. However, the jury will serve only in an advisory capacity for US District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers, who will ultimately decide the case.
The trial will examine allegations that Meta designed Facebook and Instagram to be addictive to children and teenagers and misled consumers about the safety of its platforms for young users. In addition, all 29 states accuse Meta of improperly collecting and using children’s personal data while they used its services, in violation of federal law.
Meta’s attorneys are expected to argue that the company has made significant efforts to protect children online. The company has also maintained that it did not make misleading statements about safety and that the states have failed to provide evidence of actual harm to their residents.
Meta founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg is expected to testify during the multiweek trial. Instagram head Adam Mosseri is also expected to appear as a witness.
Biggest Test Yet
Experts have described the case as the biggest test yet for litigation over social media and young users, given its potential financial and wider implications for Meta.
The trial comes as concerns grow globally about social media’s effects on young users. Meta has said potential penalties could reach $1.4 trillion, a figure close to the company’s $1.5 trillion market capitalisation.
However, the attorneys general have not specified the penalties they are seeking. At a hearing last week, they said the amount could instead be closer to $200 billion.
The attorneys general of Colorado, Kentucky, California and New Jersey are also asking Judge Rogers to order nationwide changes to Meta’s platforms. These measures could include age restrictions and the removal of infinite scrolling.
Meta has rejected the states’ allegations. A company spokesperson said the claims were unsubstantiated and said Meta stood by its record of developing protections for teenagers.
The company also argued that the states had not shown that anyone in their jurisdictions was misled. Meta said the case also sought to penalise it for challenges affecting the wider industry, including age verification.
Multistate Investigation
The states filed their lawsuit in 2023 after a multistate investigation into Instagram and Facebook and their impact on young users.
The investigation followed disclosures by Meta whistleblower Frances Haugen. In 2021, Haugen testified before a US Senate committee that the company knew its products could harm young users and knew how to make them safer, but chose not to make those changes while pursuing higher profits.
During the trial, the states are expected to present extensive internal documents and research from Meta. They are also expected to call former Meta employees and outside experts to testify.
Meanwhile, Meta is facing growing pressure alongside other social media companies. Snap, TikTok parent ByteDance and YouTube parent Alphabet are also confronting scrutiny from lawmakers and courts over alleged harms to young users.
The states’ lawsuit forms part of thousands of cases brought against social media companies. States, municipalities, school districts and individuals have filed claims alleging that the companies’ products harm young users.
Meta has warned that the growing volume of litigation could have a serious effect on its business and financial results.
With inputs from Reuters

