Close Menu
Stratnews GlobalStratnews Global
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • India AI Summit Robot Controversy Triggers Political Backlash
    • Instagram Youth Mental Health Trial Puts Mark Zuckerberg In Court
    • Telegram Military Messages Exposed To Foreign Intelligence Claims
    • AI Scientific Discovery Era Heralded By Demis Hassabis
    • China Nuclear Test Allegation Raises Fresh Arms Control Concerns
    • YouTube Recommendation System Outage Disrupts Global Access
    • DoT COAI And STPI Showcase AI Ready Telecom Ecosystem At India AI Impact Summit 2026
    • India To Add 20,000 GPUs To Boost National AI Infrastructure
    Stratnews GlobalStratnews Global
    Write for Us
    Wednesday, February 18
    • Space
    • Science
    • AI and Robotics
    • Industry News
    Stratnews GlobalStratnews Global
    Home » Chinese Probe Chang’e-6 Lifts Off From Far Side Of The Moon

    Chinese Probe Chang’e-6 Lifts Off From Far Side Of The Moon

    ReshamBy ReshamJune 4, 2024 Space Missions No Comments2 Mins Read
    China's probe

    China’s Chang’e-6 probe carrying samples from the far side of the moon has lifted off, starting its journey back towards Earth, China’s national space agency announced on Tuesday.

    The launch signifies China is closer to becoming the first country to return samples from the far side of the moon, which permanently faces away from Earth.

    The probe, which launched towards earth at 7:38 am local time (2338 GMT) successfully completed its sample collection from June 2-3.

    China National Space Administration (CNSA) said in a statement that Chang’e-6 “withstood extremely high temperatures on the far side of the moon”.

    Compared with its predecessor Chang’e-5, which retrieved samples from the near side of the moon, Chang’e-6 faced an additional challenge of operating without direct communications with ground stations on Earth, according to CNSA.

    Instead, the probe relied on relay satellite Queqiao-2, put into orbit in April, for communications.

    The probe used a drill and robotic arm to dig up soil on and below the moon’s surface, according to state news agency Xinhua.

    Chang’e-6 displayed China’s national flag for the first time on the far side of moon after sample acquisition, Beijing Daily said.

    The probe is now in lunar orbit and will join up with another spacecraft in orbit, CNSA said on Tuesday morning.

    The samples will then be transferred to a return module, which will fly back to Earth, with a landing in China’s Inner Mongolia region expected around June 25.

    The return of the lunar samples to Earth is being followed by scientists around the world, who hope the soil collected by the Chang’e-6 can help answer questions about the origins of the solar system.

    The mission has also been closely followed domestically as a source of national pride. Last month, thousands of tourists flocked to different viewing spots in the southern island province of Hainan to watch Chang’e-6′s launch.

    Pictures of a hole left on the lunar surface from the sample digging by Chang’e-6 went viral on Tuesday on Chinese social media platform Weibo after state broadcaster CCTV said the hole was shaped like the character “zhong”, a nod to the Chinese word for China, “zhongguo”.

    Author

    • Resham
      Resham

      Research Associate at Interstellar.| China Scholar | China Social Media & Foreign Affairs|

      View all posts
    Featured
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp
    Resham
    • X (Twitter)

    Research Associate at Interstellar.| China Scholar | China Social Media & Foreign Affairs|

    Keep Reading

    India AI Summit Robot Controversy Triggers Political Backlash

    Instagram Youth Mental Health Trial Puts Mark Zuckerberg In Court

    Telegram Military Messages Exposed To Foreign Intelligence Claims

    AI Scientific Discovery Era Heralded By Demis Hassabis

    China Nuclear Test Allegation Raises Fresh Arms Control Concerns

    YouTube Recommendation System Outage Disrupts Global Access

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Anti Drone System (CUAS)
    Latest Posts

    India AI Summit Robot Controversy Triggers Political Backlash

    February 18, 2026

    Instagram Youth Mental Health Trial Puts Mark Zuckerberg In Court

    February 18, 2026

    Telegram Military Messages Exposed To Foreign Intelligence Claims

    February 18, 2026

    AI Scientific Discovery Era Heralded By Demis Hassabis

    February 18, 2026

    China Nuclear Test Allegation Raises Fresh Arms Control Concerns

    February 18, 2026

    YouTube Recommendation System Outage Disrupts Global Access

    February 18, 2026

    DoT COAI And STPI Showcase AI Ready Telecom Ecosystem At India AI Impact Summit 2026

    February 18, 2026

    India To Add 20,000 GPUs To Boost National AI Infrastructure

    February 18, 2026

    Bharat VISTAAR Launched In Rajasthan To Empower Farmers With AI Support

    February 18, 2026

    India AI Impact Summit Signals $200 Billion AI Investments Push

    February 17, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    • Astronomical Events
    • Space Missions
    • Industry News
    • Science
    StratNewsGlobal Tech
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram LinkedIn YouTube
    © 2026 StratNews Global, A unit of BharatShakti Communications LLP
    • About Us
    • Contributors
    • Copyright
    • Contact
    • Write for Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.